Students with complex health conditions and disabilities may rely on health supports to attend school. Some students may have developmental delays or other conditions that do not affect their ability to attend school, but may affect their ability to fully benefit from educational routines.
The Local Health Integration Network (LHIN) provides School Health Support Services on a priority-needs basis. LHIN care coordinators with specialized knowledge and skills will assess the child to determine how urgently services are needed. Children with complex needs who require assistance in order to safely attend school are the top priority.
Through the School Health Support Services program, a LHIN care coordinator arranges in-school access to a range of services.
For students in public schools, private schools or students who are home schooled, the LHIN may provide:
- Nursing services
- Dietetic services
- Information and referral services
- Coordination of services
For students in private schools or students who are home schooled, the LHIN may also provide:
- Occupational therapy
- Speech-language pathology
- Personal support
In addition to delivering care in schools, visiting professionals may also provide health-related education, teaching and consultation services to school staff and parents in the school setting.
A child or youth may be eligible for School Health Support Services, if the child or youth:
- has a valid Ontario Health card;
- is registered as a student at a school as defined under Ontario’s Education Act;
- has assessed needs for School Health Support Services and requires those services to be able to attend school, receive instruction and participate in school routines; and,
- would experience a significant disruption in attendance, instruction or participation without the support of the program.
More Information and How to Access Services
For further information about School Health Support Services and how to access them, please call 310-2222 without dialing an area code to be connected to your Local Health Integration Network.