Students with complex health conditions and disabilities may rely on health supports to attend school. Some students may have developmental delays or other conditions that do not affect their ability to attend school, but may affect their ability to fully benefit from educational routines.
Home and Community Care Support Services Erie St. Clair provides Children's Health Support Services on a priority-needs basis. Our professionals assess students to determine how urgently services are needed. Children with complex needs who require assistance in order to safely attend school are the top priority.
Through the Children's Health Support Services program, a Care Coordinator arranges in-school access to a range of services.
For students in public schools, private schools or students who are home schooled, we may provide:
- Nursing services
- Dietetic services
- Information and referral services
- Coordination of services
For students in private schools or students who are home schooled, we may also provide:
- Occupational therapy
- Speech-language pathology
- Personal support
In addition to delivering care in schools, visiting professionals may also provide health-related education, teaching and consultation services to school staff and parents in the school setting.
A child or youth may be eligible for Children's Health Support Services, if the child or youth:
- has a valid Ontario Health card;
- is registered as a student at a school as defined under Ontario’s Education Act;
- has assessed needs for Children's Health Support Services and requires those services to be able to attend school, receive instruction and participate in school routines; and,
- would experience a significant disruption in attendance, instruction or participation without the support of the program.
More Information and How to Access Services
For further information about our Children's Health Support Services and how to access them, please call 1-888-447-4468 to be connected to us.
Occupational therapy, physiotherapy, and speech-language pathology services for students in public schools are provided by:
- Windsor/Essex – John McGivney Children’s Centre
- Chatham-Kent – Children’s Treatment Centre of Chatham-Kent
- Sarnia/Lambton – Pathways Health Centre for Children
In the publicly-funded school system, personal support services are provided by educators in the classroom.
CHT 041 E MR19 - CHSS Referral Form Public Private
CHT 172 E MR19 - CHSS Teacher Checklist - Private School In-Home School with Guide for Teachers
CHT 296 E MR19 - Assessment and Service Plan Authorization Private School In-Home School Student Health Needs
CHT 041 E MR19 - CHSS Referral Form Public Private (FRENCH)
CHT 172 E MR19 - CHSS Teacher Checklist - Private School In-Home school with Guide for Teachers (FRENCH)