Mental Health & Addictions Nurses
Visualiser en français
As a student, you may be faced with heavy social and educational pressures at home and at school. This can result in mental health or addiction concerns difficult to manage on your own. Home and Community Care Support Services works closely with local school boards and our community partners to support young people with mental health addictions stay in school and succeed. If you are struggling with depression, addiction or other mental health issues, we can help connect you with the care and support you need.
Supporting Kids and Teens at School
Schools play a key role in addressing mental health and addictions issues experienced by children and youth. Home and Community Care Support Services works together with the school boards to identify people who need care and then provide support for the schools with students who need care.
Services offered by MHA nurses are in addition to programs already provided through schools and mental health and addiction agencies in the community.
How can Mental Health and Addiction nurses help?
MHA nurses are focused on the success of students with mental health or addiction issues, helping you thrive at school, remain in school or transition back to school successfully after a hospital stay.
We work with you and your family along with school boards, teachers and community based organizations to support you as you deal with mental health and addictions issues. This may include:
- One-on-one meetings with your at home or at school
- Mental health and addictions education and addictions education to you and your family
- Short-term therapy
- Connecting with your family doctor and your school
- Helping you understand your medications
- Assisting you in going back to school from a hospital or other health institution
- Mental health and addictions services in your community
- Helping you cope with mental health and addiction issues
- Giving you the tools to stay in school, thrive in school, and manage your future with success
Who is eligible for MHA services?
MHA nursing care is available at school for children and youth who may have mild to complex mental health and/or substance abuse issues. The program also supports students who are going back to school from the hospital or another care setting.
You can be referred to the MHA nursing care program by a partner school board and if you think these services would be helpful, please contact your school for more information.
Contact us for more information about MHA nursing care and support