CCAC Provincial Boundary Map


To find your local region, please enter your postal code


Patient Privacy

Visualiser en français 

Your Privacy is Important to us!   

Home and Community Care Support Services follows 10 Privacy Principles to ensure your personal health information remains private and confidential. To learn more about your privacy rights, the 10 Privacy Principles and how Home and Community Care Support Services Hamilton Niagara Haldimand Brant collects, uses and protects our patients' personal health information, please click HERE.

Home and Community Care Support Services is subject to the requirements of the Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004 (PHIPA), and we are committed to the principles outlined in this legislation.

Health Records

Impact COVID-19

In light of these unprecedented times, we appreciate your patience as we strive to respond to patient information requests in a timely manner. To support streamlining requests, please fax them to 905-574-5148 or contact the Privacy Office at 1-800-810-0000. and leave a detailed voice message with your name and phone number. Please do not send a request to Home and Community Care Support Services by mail or in-person. We thank you for your help and support and look forward to working with you.  

How do I obtain a copy of my health record?
Written patient consent is required to access your health record from Home and Community Care Support Services. This consent may be provided in a letter or by completing the online form:

The letter or form must be signed and dated by the patient or the substitute decision maker, for example, the Power of Attorney for Personal Care. The request should include:

  • The patient's name, date of birth, and health card number (if known)

  • A description of the health record(s) you would like to access

  • The intended destination of the request – whether it is the patient, family member or a third party.  

In your request to access patient health information, please be specific about the information you need e.g. a specific document, documents within a specific time period or the entire patient record. Please include dates and timeframes whenever possible. The form (or a signed letter) must be submitted by mail or fax to our Health Records Department.

Can I release my health record to someone else?
You may authorize the disclosure of your health records to a family member, friend or third party. To allow for health record disclosure, you must provide HCCSS with the contact information of the intended recipient and the signed consent letter or form. 

Can I access the record of an incapable or deceased patient?
For the release of the health records of an incapable patient, Home and Community Care Support Services requires the written consent of the legally authorized substitute decision maker. To disclose information for a person who has died, Home and Community Care Support Services requires the consent of the person responsible for the deceased person's estate e.g. the estate trustee. 

To avoid delays, please ensure that all information is completed and that the form is signed and dated. If you are requesting information as the authorized substitute decision maker for a patient who is incapable, you must verify your role by providing the necessary documentation, e.g. copy of Power of Attorney for Personal Care document.

Is there a fee for accessing health records?
Administrative fees may apply to requests for records. Fees are based on recommendations from the Information and Privacy Commission of Ontario. Information about any applicable fees and charges will be provided before the request is completed. 

How long will it take for my request to be released?
Under the Personal Health Information Protection Act, Home and Community Care Support Services is required in most cases to provide access within 30 days. If you need records on an urgent basis, please speak to our Health Records Specialist and we will try to respond to your request in the most reasonable timeframe possible.

You have the right to access your information
You have the right to access the personal health information contained in your record, and to have this information corrected or amended. You also have the right to change or remove your consent. To do so, please contact our Privacy Officer.

You have the right to voice your concerns
If you believe any of your privacy rights have been violated in any way, please contact Home and Community Care Support Services Privacy Officer.  

  • Phone:  905-526-2312 or 1-800-810-000 ext 2312

  • Mail:     211 Pritchard Road, Unit 1
                 Hamilton ON, L8J 0G5

If our Privacy Officer has not resolved your concerns to your satisfaction, you have a right to file a complaint with the Information and Privacy Commissioner/Ontario (IPC).

The IPC may be reached by:

  • Phone:  416-326-3333 or 1-800-387-0073

  • Online:

  • Mail:      Information and Privacy Commissioner/Ontario
                 2 Bloor Street East, Suite 1400
                 Toronto, Ontario M4W 1A8

For more information, please click on these helpful links: