JOB POSTING #107-21
POSTING DATE: July 13, 2021
JOB TITLE: Nurse Practitioner – Full-Time INITIAL ASSIGNMENT: Palliative Care (SUD NP PAL-001) BARGAINING AGENT: ONA
LANGUAGE(S): English and French
EFFECTIVE DATE: Immediately
Home and Community Care Support Services North East offers a wide-range of quality health-care services and resources to support people of all ages at home, school or in community. In addition to planning, delivering and coordinating care for thousands of people each day in Northeastern Ontario, we also manage eligibility and admissions to long-term care homes, short stay respite, assisted living, and adult day programs. We need caring, motivated people who are driven to help others and make difference in their community, to join our multi-disciplinary team.
The Palliative Care Nurse Practitioner (NP) provides clinical assessment, treatment, pain and symptom management, counseling and teaching to patients, allowing for compassionate end of life care and the choice of death at home. This position collaborates with primary care physicians, Home and Community Care Support Services North East Care Coordinators and service partners to develop comprehensive care plans for complex patients requiring palliative care in the community. Additionally, the Palliative NP provides expert clinical leadership to support seamless, integrated care delivery.
- Nurse Practitioner/Registered Nurse in the Extended Class in good standing in accordance with the College of Nurses of Ontario (Nurse Practitioner);
- Relevant nursing experience working in a community/health care environment;
- Hospice and Palliative Nursing (CHPN) certification preferred;
- Knowledge of home health care and other community resources within Home and Community Care Support Services North East;
- Comprehensive and up-to-date knowledge of medical management complex care needs of palliative patients;
- Completion of controlled substances education which has been approved by the College of Nurses of Ontario;
- Experience in patient, family, and community education;
- Knowledge and experience in implementing evidence-based clinical best practice guidelines;
- Demonstrate critical analysis and assessment skills, problem-solving, and interviewing skills;
- Practical knowledge and understanding of relevant legislation (e.g. regarding the provision of health care services, privacy, health and safety, etc.);
- Comprehensive knowledge of the standards of practice and professional guidelines set forth by the College of Nurses of Ontario, RNAO, NPAO, and other relevant medical professional associations;
- Ability to prioritize professional duties, manage multiple patients, and efficiently organize workload;
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills to work with diverse patient groups, Care Coordinators, family members/caregivers/Substitute Decision Makers, health care professionals, community organizations and service providers;
- Effective listening, observation, and facilitation skills;
- Ability to communicate information effectively through a variety of means including reports, letters, meetings, and presentations;
- Working knowledge of computer software (email, internet, EMRs) and Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel);
- Valid Emergency First Aid Certification;
- Travel will be required; must have valid driver's license and access to a vehicle;
- Advanced oral and written proficiency in English and French is essential.
Less qualified candidates may be considered. However, candidates who meet all requirements will be given priority for an interview.
Home and Community Care Support Services North East is an equal opportunity employer. Personal information submitted will be used only for the purpose of determining suitability for this vacancy. All applicants are thanked for their interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Individuals with a disability requiring accommodation during the application and/or the interview process should advise the recruitment contact so arrangements can be made.
Interested persons are invited to submit a cover letter and resume by e-mail to:
Please refer to posting #107-21 when applying.