CCAC Provincial Boundary Map


To find your local region, please enter your postal code


School Health Support Services for Students

Service Provider and StudentStudents with complex health conditions and disabilities may rely on health supports to attend school. Some students may have developmental delays or other conditions that do not affect their ability to attend school, but may affect their ability to fully benefit from educational routines.

Home and Community Care Support Services North West  provides School Health Support Services on a priority-needs basis. Our professionals assess students to determine how urgently services are needed. Children with complex needs who require assistance in order to safely attend school are the top priority.

Through the School Health Support Services program, a Care Coordinator arranges in-school access to a range of services.

For students in public schools, private schools or students who are home schooled, we may provide:

  • Nursing services

  • Dietetic services

  • Information and referral services

  • Coordination of services

For students in private schools or students who are home schooled, we may also provide:

  • Occupational therapy

  • Physiotherapy

  • Speech-language pathology

  • Personal support

In addition to delivering care in schools, visiting professionals may also provide health-related education, teaching and consultation services to school staff and parents in the school setting.

A child or youth may be eligible for School Health Support Services, if the child or youth:

  • Has a valid Ontario Health card;

  • Is registered as a student at a school as defined under Ontario’s Education Act;

  • Has assessed needs for School Health Support Services and requires those services to be able to attend school, receive instruction and participate in school routines; and,

  • Would experience a significant disruption in attendance, instruction or participation without the support of the program.

More Information and How to Access Services

For further information about School Health Support Services and how to access them, please call 310-2222 without dialing an area code to be connected to your local Home and Community Care Support Services.

School-based rehabilitation services (occupational therapy, physiotherapy and speech-language pathology) in publicly-funded schools are provided by George Jeffrey Children’s Centre in Thunder Bay and east and FIREFLY west of Thunder Bay.

George Jeffrey Children’s Centre

Call: 807-623-4381 or Toll Free 1-888-818-7330


Call: Toll Free 1-833-696-5437

In the publicly-funded school system, personal support services are provided by educators in the classroom.