The General Accountant provides oversight to the daily activities of the finance department and recommends changes in methods and procedures to improve the efficiency of the accounting function in the Shared Services Operation.
Prepares month end internal financial statements and external reports to the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care (MOHLTC) and the North Simcoe Muskoka Local Health Integration Network (LHIN) including quarterly MIS and supplemental reports.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinates month-end activities with the finance department to ensure timely & accurate internal & external reporting.
- Prepares and coordinates journal entries and other activities within the general ledger.
- Ensure monthly completion of all general ledger account reconciliations.
- Prepares monthly internal financial statements and other regular month-end closing activities.
- Reviews month & year-end reporting for accuracy and consistency with knowledge of unusual or significant items.
- Prepares the year-end file for external audit.
- Reviews account payable cheques for account distribution, authorization and internal control procedures.
- Prepares cash flow forecasts and monitors for sufficiency.
- Ensure compliance with provincial and federal tax regulations.
- Prepares MIS data submissions.
- Prepares quarterly reports to the MOHLTC and LHIN and assist with other reporting requirements.
- Assists in developing policies and procedures relating to accounting practices.
- Assists in the preparation of the annual business plan, specifically in the area of the finance department.
- Generates reports as required, for analysis.
- Audits bi-weekly payroll journals.
- Supports client safety culture by ensuring work completed recognizes the safety of the client(s).
- Applies sound risk management with the scope of duties and responsibilities; and
- Reports risk with causes, impacts or mitigations beyond scope of responsibility or available resources to manager.
- Other duties as assigned.
Your qualifications and experience will include:
- Post-secondary diploma in business, accounting, finance or equivalent.
- Professional accounting designation (CPA) is an asset.
- Minimum of two to four years general accounting experience in a computerized setting.
- Effective communication skills, oral and written required.
- In-depth knowledge of financial /accounting processes, with the ability to think analytically.
- In-depth knowledge of GAAP.
- Strong ability to organize and prioritize effectively to meet the demands of regular deadlines.
- Good planning skills.
- Superior computer skills including strong knowledge of Microsoft Excel (including spreadsheet creation, manipulation), Word, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Excellent interpersonal skills required.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated excellence in problem solving, organization, multitasking, time management and troubleshooting.
- Ability to communicate complex concepts in everyday language, using a variety of communications tools.
- Effective communication with internal and external stakeholders which includes respecting and valuing others, active listening and facilitating healthy relationships.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as a member of a team.
- Proficiency in French is an asset.
Outstanding care –every person, everyday.
To deliver a seamless experience through the health system for people in our diverse communities, providing equitable access, individualized care coordination and quality health care.
We believe in honest and ethical behaviour.
We make our clients our first prioriy.
We accept responsibility for our actions and outcomes.
We treat ourselves and others with dignity and understanding.
We are committed to the delivery of high quality service through education and the application of best practice.
This position is temporary full-time available for up to one year. The salary range is $32.28 to
$36.10/hr (35 hours per week) plus 6% in lieu of vacation.
To apply to this position, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “General Accountant” in the subject line by October 14th, 2016.
NSM CCAC is governed by the requirements of the French Language Services Act and therefore encourages applications from French speaking candidates.
NSM CCAC is committed to accommodating people with disabilities as part of our hiring process. If you have any special requirements during the recruitment process, please advise Human Resources.
We thank all applicants who take the time to apply; however, only those invited for an interview will be contacted.
As part of the mandatory screen process NSM CCAC requires professional references, verification of academic training, professional accreditation, plus a current Criminal Records Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening (if applicable).