The North Simcoe Muskoka Local Health Integration Network (NSM LHIN) is one of 14 local organizations that have been created in Ontario to plan, coordinate and fund local health services, including hospitals, community care access centres, long-term care homes, community health centres, community support service agencies, and mental health and addictions agencies. The office of the North Simcoe Muskoka LHIN is located in Orillia, Ontario. Each of the province's 14 Local Health Integration Networks (LHINs) is subdivided into smaller regions generally referred to as Sub-LHINs. In North Simcoe Muskoka, the Sub LHIN regions are Barrie, Collingwood, Midland and Penetanguishene, Muskoka and Orillia.
The NSM LHIN is home to close to 453,710 people and encompasses the District of Muskoka, most of the County of Simcoe and a portion of Grey County. Responsible for $850 million in funding to allocate amongst 61 unique health service provider organizations, North Simcoe Muskoka residents have benefited from numerous LHIN programs and initiatives.
The recently passed Patients First Act, 2016 will expand the mandate of the LHIN to include responsibility for organizing, managing, and delivering home and community services previously delivered by the Community Care Access Centres, primary care planning, sub-regional health care planning and integration, and creating more formal relationships with Public Health.
The NSM LHIN is looking for professionals with the right skills to work with their multi-disciplinary teams to use best practices and leading edge approaches to meet their populations' health needs today and in the future.
Director, Communications – Permanent Full-time Position
The Director, Communications provides vision and strategic leadership, direction and oversight for the development, implementation and evaluation of communications and community and stakeholder engagement strategies, plans, services and products.
- Develops, manages and executes an annual communications and community and stakeholder engagement plan and ongoing strategies for North Simcoe Muskoka Local Health Integration Network spanning all communication media (online and offline) for all target audiences and stakeholders, in alignment with the organizations strategic priorities and communications goals.
- Evaluates the success of communication and community engagement strategies and provides and implements recommendations for improvement.
- Determines annual budgets in the context of the organization's broader budget, monitors budget and takes corrective action, as needed.
- Initiates and maintains communications policies and processes to ensure consistent and effective messaging and activities in accordance with the provincial health care agenda and NSM LHIN's priorities.
- Provides expert advice and support in the identification of innovative and high-impact communications strategies and channels.
- Develops key messages for use by the CEO and Executive Office in order to develop a strong public presence and positive brand and build awareness with target stakeholder groups.
- Develops and delivers a range of internal/external "best practice" communication tactics and materials including: newsletter/magazine articles, memos, bulletins, posters and other collateral materials, new releases, presentations, speaking points, surveys, events (e.g., employee forums and displays), web and social media content and digital communications management, video scripts, advertisements, brand development and leader toolkits.
- Develops and maintains strong media networks, and leads media relations activities including:
- Identifying, coordinating with and coaching spokespeople, developing target media relations strategies and lists, coordinating interview opportunities and pitching stories, preparing news releases and other media materials, and evaluating results.
- Oversees content management and use of media assets (stories, photos, quotes, videos etc.), in compliance with stakeholder consent and patient privacy.
- Responsible for the review and endorsement of all external facing documents for compliance with brand standards and risk.
- Oversees and collaborates with external consultants and vendors including media and spokesperson training, writing, language translation, graphic design, printing and photography.
- Provides strategic leadership to support the empowerment of the patient/ family/ caregiver advisory councils.
- Create and manage a process for aligning and collaborating with external health system and community partners on communications and community and stakeholder engagement activities. Maintain positive and productive relationships with communications and other professionals at health service provider and other partner organizations.
- Oversees and manages the LHIN's stakeholder and community engagement plan using various mechanisms for a diversity of stakeholders such as town hall meetings, focus groups, social media, web site, surveys, and interviews. Analyzes information gathered through community engagement and identifies key themes and priorities.
- Provides strategic leadership regarding the measurement and improvement of the patient experience.
- Prepare for and attend board meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
Human Resources Management and Health & Safety Commitment
- Develops human resource plans that indicate staffing requirements for teams.
- Leads recruitment, selection and hiring of staff as required.
- Ensures fair and equitable application of human resources policies.
- Identifies and promotes factors conducive to a positive working environment for all employees including reward and recognition.
- Conducts performance appraisals for direct reports.
- Monitors and addresses performance concerns related to Home and Communications staff.
- Promotes an environment supporting continuous development and improvement.
- Be accountable for taking every reasonable precaution to protect the health and safety of employees under their supervision and are responsible to ensure that equipment is safe, properly instructs employees on safe operation and use and ensure employees follow established safe work practices and procedures.
Quality and Risk Management
- Champions the desired organizational risk management tone and culture.
- Integrates sound risk management practices into business processes and day-to-day decisions.
- Reports risks with causes, impacts or mitigations beyond scope of responsibility to senior management.
- Supports the participation of staff in learning opportunities to build competencies.
Job Specific Competencies
- Effective communication skills including: listening, presenting, articulating conveyance of messages in an honest, open, transparent and straight-forward style.
- Demonstrated leadership skills including: inspiring and motivating staff to achieve outcomes; effective team building techniques; demonstrating commitment to mission and values; and functioning effectively with tact and diplomacy while handling stressful issues.
- Results-oriented leadership style that encourages empowerment and collaboration while demonstrating strong decision-making ability; can facilitate change through knowledge, negotiation and strategic business acumen that encourages positive outcomes; is a visible leader and has a patient-service orientation.
- Strategic thinker who is able to develop short-term and longer-term plans that reflect current trends while identifying priorities for relevancy and leadership in the future; able to operationalize strategies to execute key priorities.
- Strategic Planning: Communicates corporate goals and objectives within the department. Aligns department tasks and objectives with corporate goals and objectives. Establishes clear targets and measures to track progress toward department objectives. Shares organizational performance measurement information and encourages dialogue and analysis.
- Strong change management skills; able to focus priorities and drive for positive change; encourages and holds themselves and others accountable.
- Ability to convey a positive image of self and organization to staff, the community and public; understands key external relationships important to the success of the organization.
- Relationship Management: Builds multiple collaborative relationships to support department and organizational performance.
- Identifies the key issues and includes key players when dealing with external parties/units on joint projects.
- Demonstrates an ability to build lasting relationships through strength of positioning and flexibility.
- Risk Management: Measures and evaluates outcomes and corrects direction as appropriate.
- A demonstrated passion for advancing healthcare within the context of a system-wide strategy and the broader challenges of changing healthcare policies.
- Able to apply clinical ethical principles and provide aligned leadership.
- University degree in a related field (e.g. Communications, Journalism, Business Administration, Public Affairs), or equivalent combination of education and experience; Master's degree preferred.
- 10-15 years of extensive experience in public relations, public affairs, stakeholder engagement and/or corporate communications in the public sector, preferably in the health sector.
- Fluency in French is an asset.
- Valid driver's license, insurance and access to a motor vehicle are required.
- Ability to travel within the region on a regular basis.
To be successful, you will be able to work with initiative and judgment, be adaptable to changing priorities and have good problem-solving skills. You will have the confidence to work independently and be a contributor to team performance. Your communication and interpersonal skills will be an asset when managing day-to-day issues in a fast-paced environment.
HOW TO APPLY: Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com by 5pm on Wednesday March 22th, 2017.
The LHIN is an equal opportunity employer and all applicants are welcome. We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Individuals with a disability requiring accommodation during the application and/or the interview process should advise the recruitment contact so arrangements can be made.
Available in French upon request.