The North Simcoe Muskoka Local Health Integration Network (NSM LHIN) is one of 14 local organizations that have been created in Ontario to plan, coordinate and fund local health services, including hospitals, community care access centres, long-term care homes, community health centres, community support service agencies, and mental health and addictions agencies. The office of the North Simcoe Muskoka LHIN is located in Orillia, Ontario. Each of the province's 14 Local Health Integration Networks (LHINs) is subdivided into smaller regions generally referred to as Sub-LHINs. In North Simcoe Muskoka, the Sub LHIN regions are Barrie, Collingwood, Midland and Penetanguishene, Muskoka and Orillia.
The NSM LHIN is home to close to 453,710 people and encompasses the District of Muskoka, most of the County of Simcoe and a portion of Grey County. Responsible for $850 million in funding to allocate amongst 61 unique health service provider organizations, North Simcoe Muskoka residents have benefited from numerous LHIN programs and initiatives.
The recently passed Patients First Act, 2016 will expand the mandate of the LHIN to include responsibility for organizing, managing, and delivering home and community services previously delivered by the Community Care Access Centres, primary care planning, sub-regional health care planning and integration, and creating more formal relationships with Public Health.
The NSM LHIN is looking for professionals with the right skills to work with their multi-disciplinary teams to use best practices and leading edge approaches to meet their populations' health needs today and in the future.
Director of Information Management – Full-Time Permanent
Reporting to the Vice President, Quality and Performance, the Director, Information Management is responsible for the development and execution of information technology (IT), business intelligence (BI) and performance reporting strategy in support of LHIN operations and regional initiatives. This includes planning, developing, organizing, controlling and directing all the financial and human resources required to provide effective IT, BI and performance reporting functions to meet business needs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Leadership, Planning, and Business Support
- Communicates and fosters the organizational vision, mission, and strategic directions with team members, driving outstanding customer/stakeholder service.
- Establishes and maintains a service orientated, customer focused function that supports ongoing operations and the achievement of goals while driving efficiency, quality, customer service, and growth.
- Directs the development and implementation of the Business Intelligence & Information Technology (BIT) vision in support of organizational strategic directions, LHIN Integrated Health Service Plan (IHSP) and Annual Business Plan (ABP).
- Aligns BIT initiatives with organizational strategic and operational objectives while balancing resource constraints (human and fiscal) to optimize BIT investments.
- Ensures that departmental work plans foster best practices and align with business priorities and that objectives are met within agreed deadlines.
- Collaborates with colleagues, VP Quality and Performance and other members of the Executive Management Team in managing competing priorities within a complex environment.
- Develops, maintains, and/or contributes to policies and procedures.
- Collaborates with the Manager Information Technology (IT) & Manager Business Intelligence (BI) and System Performance in the development of a sustainable infrastructure that will continue to support organizational needs over time.
- Collaborates with the Manager, Business Intelligence (BI) and System Performance in the development of sustainable BI environments and tools that continue to support organizational and regional initiatives as they may change over time.
- Develops projects and budget proposals.
- Provide leadership for excellence within the Information Technology and Business Intelligence and Performance teams.
- Participates in strategic planning initiatives.
- Builds strong accountable teams.
- Coaches team members in technical, business, and management skills.
Leadership in Provincial and Regional Initiatives
- Participates in regional and provincial committees and working groups that are related to strategic use of technology.
- Builds and maintains collaborative long-term relationships with IT and BI colleagues from regional health care organizations fostering trust and enabling partnerships.
- Keeps apprised of the changes in technology, eHealth initiatives, and data integration and aligns local strategies to these initiatives where appropriate.
- Works with other technology leaders to further regional eHealth initiative successes.
- Leads the vision for a sustainable regional decision support environment and team.
- Leads strategic and operational initiatives.
- Develop, plans and allocates a human and financial resources plan within the portfolio.
- Provides management and accountability for expenditures of budgeted resources to the Vice President, Quality and Performance.
- Leads the evaluation of contract compliance and quality management of IT and BI contracts.
Human Resources Management
- Develops human resource plans that indicate staffing requirements for teams.
- Leads recruitment, selection and hiring of staff as required.
- Ensures fair and equitable application of human resources policies.
- Identifies and promotes factors conducive to a positive working environment for all employees including reward and recognition.
- Conducts performance appraisals for direct reports.
- Monitors and addresses performance concerns related to IT, BI and Performance staff.
- Promotes an environment supporting continuous development and improvement.
- Is accountable for taking every reasonable precaution to protect the health and safety of employees under their supervision and responsible to ensure that equipment is safe; properly instructs employees on safe operation and use and ensures employees follow established safe work practices and procedures.
Performance Measurement & Indicator Development
- Manages the establishment of specific, measureable indicators that align with established performance management frameworks and organizational goals and priorities.
- Leverages existing infrastructure and datasets to optimize the availability of timely, reliable data to monitor performance achievement.
- Identifies opportunities to expand datasets and to mature performance indicators.
- Manages the development of performance dashboards.
- Follows safe practices related to security and privacy of information.
- Other duties as assigned.
Quality and Risk Management
- Champions the desired organizational risk management tone and culture.
- Integrates sound risk management practices into business processes and day-to-day decisions.
- Reports risks with causes, impacts or mitigations beyond scope of responsibility to senior management.
- Supports the participation of staff in learning opportunities to build competencies.
- Supports the early identification of risks to client safety through timely and thorough analysis of risk event reports and other key sources of data/information; and
- Supports client safety culture by ensuring equipment and databases recognize the safety of the client(s).
- Shares accountability for ensuring the safest possible client care in accordance with the Client Safety Plan.
Skills and Abilities
- Effective communication skills including: listening, presenting, articulate conveyance of messages in an honest, open, transparent and straight-forward style;
- Superior leadership skills including: inspiring and motivating staff to achieve outcomes; effective team building techniques; demonstrating commitment to the mission and values; and functioning effectively with tact and diplomacy while handling stressful issues;
- Business Acumen: Ability to apply business principles, including systems thinking, to the healthcare environment; basic business principles include financial management, human resource management, organizational dynamics and governance, strategic planning, risk management and quality improvement;
- Results-oriented management style that encourages empowerment and collaboration while demonstrating strong decision-making ability; can facilitate change through knowledge, negotiation and strategic business acumen that encourages positive outcomes; is a visible leader and has a client-service orientation;
- Strategic thinker who is able to develop short- and longer-term plans that reflect current trends while identifying priorities for relevancy and leadership in the future; able to operationalize strategies to execute key priorities;
- Strategic Planning: Communicates corporate goals and objectives within the department. Aligns department tasks and objectives with corporate goals and objectives. Establishes clear targets and measures to track progress toward system/organizational/departmental objectives. Shares organizational and local health system performance measurement information and encourages dialogue and analysis;
- Demonstrated human resource management skills that recognize diversity and accomplishments and the ability to be encouraging and sensitive while finding satisfactory resolution to conflict; creative skills in attracting and retaining professionals; exemplary interpersonal skills demonstrating team building, coaching and mentoring;
- Strong change management skills; able to focus priorities and drive for positive change; encourages and holds themselves and others accountable;
- Ability to convey a positive image of self and organization to staff, the community and public; understands key external relationships important to the success of the organization;
- Stakeholder Engagement: Develops networks and builds alliances. Engages in cross-functional activities; collaborates across boundaries, and finds common ground with a widening range of stakeholders;
- Relationship Management: Builds multiple external collaborative relationships to support department performance. Identifies the key issues and accommodates the key players when dealing with external parties/units on joint projects;
- Demonstrates an ability to build lasting relationships through strength of positioning and flexibility;
- Risk Management: Measures and evaluates outcomes and corrects direction as appropriate; and
- A demonstrated passion for advancing healthcare within the context of a system-wide strategy and the broader challenges of changing healthcare policies.
- A strong, dynamic, natural leader.
- A genuine people person.
- Exhibits high energy and positive attitude.
- Makes timely, impactful decisions.
- Creative and courageous risk taker.
- Self-confident presence with ego in check.
- Straightforward communicator and active listener who earns trust and respect through open, honest relationships.
- An intuitive thinker who can head off issues.
- Able to manage conflict to successful resolution.
- Believes in being part of a team and enjoys coaching and motivating.
- A 'doer' who has a sense of urgency and an accountable character.
- Passionate and compassionate.
- Tactful and possessing good judgment and political savvy.
- Masters degree in Computer Science, Information Science or a closely related discipline or an equivalent combination of education and experience satisfactory to the LHIN.
- Over 5 years' experience in a leadership or management role is essential.
- Knowledge of data science/data analytics (database management, data modelling, business analysis, report writing and emerging technologies).
- Knowledge of computing and networking technologies including the design, configuration, implementation and operation of a variety of networks and computer equipment.
- Knowledge of privacy regulatory environment.
- Knowledge of the Ontario health sector.
- Operational experience in a complex IT and/or BI environment.
- Demonstrated experience in developing a customer-focused IT and / or BI teams and services.
- Fluency in French is an asset.
- Valid driver's license, insurance and access to a motor vehicle are required.
- Ability to travel within the region on a regular basis.
To be successful, you will be able to work with initiative and judgment, be adaptable to changing priorities and have good problem-solving skills. You will have the confidence to work independently and be a contributor to team performance. Your communication and interpersonal skills will be an asset when managing day-to-day issues in a fast-paced environment.
HOW TO APPLY: Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com by 5pm on Wednesday March 22nd, 2017.
The LHIN is an equal opportunity employer and all applicants are welcome. We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Individuals with a disability requiring accommodation during the application and/or the interview process should advise the recruitment contact so arrangements can be made.
Available in French upon request.