South East Regional Coordination Service
If you require information or services regarding Medical Assistance in Dying (MAID), you can access the South East Regional Coordination Service by calling 1-888-871-8868 ext. MAID (6243), or by faxing your request to 613-650-2907.
The Regional Coordination Service can help with:
- Information about:
- MAID from the Centre for Effective Practice
- Process for MAID in the South East region
- Where MAID can be provided in the South East
- Answer questions related to MAID, palliative care and end-of-life care options
- Access to:
- Independent witnesses
- Providers, assessors, and those willing to mentor
- Pharmacies willing to dispense MAID medications
- Reporting requirements
To be eligible for MAID, the person must:
- Be at least 18 years of age;
- Capable of making decisions with respect to their health;
- Have a grievous and irremediable medical condition;
- Have made the request voluntarily (not due to external pressure);
- Provided informed consent to receive MAID, after having been apprised of alternate care options that are available to alleviate their suffering, including palliative care; and
- Be eligible for publicly funded health care services in Canada.
Passed in 2016, Bill C-14 allows a physician or nurse practitioner to administer a substance to a person, at their written and witnessed request, that causes death. This included a 10-day reflection period from the time of signing consent before MAID could be provided.
Bill C-7, passed in March 2021, allows for people who are suffering intolerably and have either a reasonably foreseeable death or a not reasonably foreseeable death to access MAID. The one exception is for people whose primary request for MAID stems from mental illness.
This criteria will be reviewed for inclusion in 2024. There is no longer a waiting period for those whose death is reasonably foreseeable and there is now a 90-day waiting period for those whose death is not reasonably foreseeable.
To request a MAID assessor, please complete a Service Request form found here: healthcareathome.ca/southeast/en/Partners/forms
For more information about MAID, or to access additional MAID forms, please click here.