Rapid Response Nurses perform a vital function in our network of health-care services. By facilitating smooth transitions from hospital to home, they act as a bridge to support patients with complex and
These nurses help patients get home and stay home by providing in-home care within 24-48 hours of hospital discharge. They help connect patients with community or home-based primary care and ensure that appropriate follow-up appointments are scheduled.
This program is intended for short-term intensive assistance and is not intended to replace the services provided by contracted service providers.
Rapid Response nurses will work collaboratively with a patient's existing network of health-care professionals, hospital staff, primary care providers and community agencies to help avoid unnecessary hospital re-admissions following discharge.
Rapid Response Nurses will help patients:
- understand their illness and symptoms,
- understand theirr hospital discharge plan,
- understand how to take prescribed medications,
- arrange for follow-up medical appointments or tests,
- connect with primary care providers, and
- receive appropriate home supports as quickly as possible so they have everything needed to stay at home safely.