We value acting in the best interest of our residents' health and well-being
Date: January, 2018
Job Title : Manager, Patient Services – Clinical Care
Reports to: Director, Patient Services
Reporting to the Director, Patient Services, the Clinical Care Patient Services Manager is responsible for the quality of patient services carried out through the supervision of Direct Care Providers (i.e. clinicians), Care Coordinators, and Team Assistants. Patient Services Clinical Care Manager provides day-to-day oversight and leadership to direct reports in support of the delivery of outstanding care and service reflective of our organization's values.
Additionally the Clinical Care Patient Services Manager is responsible for planning, implementation and evaluation of organizational initiatives, supporting quality improvement measures and adoption of quality standards and promoting a focus on best practice patient centered care with key stakeholders (i.e. Patients/Care Providers, Primary Care, Hospitals, LTC, Care Coordinators, Team Assistants and Service Providers). This position will work in partnership with Service Provider senior leadership and is also responsible for providing clinical expertise, consultation and project management around implementing clinical care frameworks and best practices across WWLHIN.
The Clinical Care Patient Services Manager will foster and develop relationships with stakeholders, nurture intra-agency relationships and integration activities to promote an environment of collaboration, innovation, and the advancement of patient services and organizational endeavors at various meetings and events.
Other areas of responsibility include staff development and mentorship, program development and leadership, and ensuring effective and consistent application of policies and procedures.
- Select, orient, educate, and provide overall supervision and mentorship of assigned Team including; providing advice and guidance on complex cases, conducting team huddles and team meetings, performance management, coaching, and exercising disciplinary measures when necessary.
- Lead the application and implementation of initiatives according to best practices guidelines and scope of practice as per Regulated Health Professional College Standards i.e. Health Quality Ontario Quality Standards, RNAO Best Practice Guidelines and WWLHIN Clinical wound care pathways.
- Assess environmental readiness, barriers and facilitate discussions with key groups involved in priority areas identified in ABP i.e. Primary Care, Wound Care Specialists, SPO's, Patients/Care Providers, Care Coordinators etc.
- Regularly review management reports for a variety of purposes including; assisting in resource allocation strategies, case costing analysis, supply and equipment usage, service utilization trending and analysis, clinical best practices and market allocation compliance
- Develop and improve policies and practices to increase efficiency and effectiveness of clinical care delivered.
- Participate in planning for education related to clinical care and provide subject matter expertise as required.
- Builds and maintains effective collaborative relationships with multiple internal and external system partners in Waterloo Wellington to ensure alignment around one wound care program.
- As assigned, serves on or leads LHIN wide and/or sector/provincial working groups.
- Act as a resource to staff and assist in problem solving, ethical dilemmas and dealing with complaints/concerns to facilitate the best possible resolution
- On-call duties related to area of responsibility
- Responds to patients/care providers and service providers to assist in problem resolution
- Baccalaureate degree from a recognized university in nursing and current registration with the Ontario College of Nurses. Masters preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years managerial experience with demonstrated ability in effective leadership and use of interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of clinical/wound care best practice guidelines, frameworks, tools, relevant systems and implementation strategies
- Possess strong critical thinking skills with a positive solution focus, experience in a unionized healthcare and community care environment is an asset
- Excellent listening skills and an adaptive style of managing
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Proficiency in French language is an asset
- Must have demonstrated competency in the use of computer software systems particularly the use of Microsoft Office suite
Safe Working Environment
- Through own work, and the management of others, ensures that the WWLHIN consistently operates a safe working environment, wherever work is undertaken
- Follows all safe work practices and procedures and immediately communicates and mitigates any activity or action which may constitute a risk to Patient or staff safety
- Participates in related training and education
Communicating and Influencing Others
- In addition to communication skills related to people management / leadership, the Manager, Patient Services is responsible for dealing with complex and challenging situations with Patients, families and service providers – issues are escalated where front line staff are unable to resolve the issue
- The Manager, Patient Services may also be required to serve as a project lead including delivering presentations and facilitating working groups with / to a range of audiences and stakeholders
Problem Solving, Decision Making and Accountability
- The core role of the Manager, Patient Services is problem solving including issues and challenges with service providers, with Patients, with staff, at a program/operational level; problems can range from highly unique and complex to routine but contentious
- The Manager. Patient Services has operationally accountability for his/her team on a day-to-day basis and is expected to interpret policy and procedure to adapt to unique situations and find resolution /solution
- Though the combination of people and operational leadership, the Manager, Patient Services has a direct impact at both the individual Patient service level, group of Patients and/or at a program/service level
- The Manager is responsible for the identification of issues, large and small, and to develop practical and impactful solutions ensuring quality of services
Management of Human Resources
- The Manager, Patient Services provides leadership to a group of front line and support staff roles.
- Responsibilities cover the range of human resources for participation in hiring through to performance management (career planning, mentoring, poor performance, etc.)
Mental Effort and Concentration
- Job requirements include attention to detail in review and preparation of documents / spreadsheets (on computer) as well as listening during discussions, interviews and consultations
- There is no significant physical effort associated with this role
- The role does spend significant time using a computer requiring fine motor skills for key boarding
- There is a requirement for driving between locations
- The job is performed in an office environment and occasionally in patient's home or hospital location
- Requirement for travel to off-site locations within and outside the local geography
WWLHIN strives to create a respectful, accessible and inclusive work environment. Upon individual request, hiring processes will be modified to remove barriers to accommodate those with disabilities. Should any applicant require accommodation through the application, interview or selection processes, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com for assistance.
If you are interested in this position, please submit a cover letter, along with a detailed resume, outlining how your skills, qualifications and experience meet the position requirements, quoting competition 18-A-06 before 4:30 p.m. on February 16, 2018 to Human Resources (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org). We thank all applicants in advance; however, we will be communicating only with those selected for an interview.
*** PLEASE NOTE*** Cover letters and resumes need to be submitted as a single file, acceptable files are: doc, docx, and pdf. Please include your first name, last name and job title in the file name when applying, example JohnSmith_AdministrativeAssistant.
THE WATERLOO WELLINGTON LHIN IS COMMITTED TO THE PRINCIPLES OF EMPLOYMENT EQUITY.