Date: April, 2018
Job Title: Manager, Planning
Reports to: Director, Performance
Leads planning initiatives and aids in the achievement of the strategic priorities including the Integrated Health Service Plan and Annual Business Plan. Manages and implements planning projects including quantitative and qualitative information using best practice tools and techniques in developing recommendations to improve the health system. Provides dynamic leadership and strategic direction to staff in conducting plan development and review function, with a focus on a collaborative approach and continuous improvement in achieving the LHIN's mission of making health easier and mobilization of the local health strategy.
- Lead and perform high-quality planning, research and analysis of provincial data, community input and other information in order to identify gaps and provide input to system design work including the development of the Integrated Health Service Plan (IHSP), the Annual Business Plan (ABP), and strategic priorities.
- Lead planning projects including effective engagement with stakeholders, information gathering, and communication back to internal staff and partners. Guide and advise staff on project management matters, priorities, and the approach to be taken on planning initiatives.
- Provide leadership to professional staff and consultants responsible for development planning activities, special projects, information/ research and data management. Research, analyze and interpret statistics, demographics and other information to inform demand, forecasting, planning and decision-making. Perform situational analysis/ environmental scans, develop narrative reports and provide planning recommendations and advice as required.
- Manage the plan review function for all provincial strategies and initiatives. Collaborate with internal staff to ensure decisions and investments are based on the best available evidence, aligns with local strategies and promotes equity across the sub-regions in the LHIN.
- Use multiple planning approaches, and community input, in order to create implementable plans to improve the local health system and wellbeing of residents. Facilitate public consultation and liaison in a positive and inclusive manner.
- Develop strategic operational plans to achieve the goals and objectives of the sub-region, including high-level system operating and capital plans.
- Stay abreast of best practices and methodologies in health-care planning in order to identify and recommend best planning approach.
- Develop and use appropriate evaluation and data gathering methodologies in support of health system design work. Provide evidence to local sub-regions planning tables and other health system transformation committees and working groups.
- Develop key strategic documents and make recommendations on system directions and priorities. Write reports and make presentations as required both internally and to the public, as well as to board and committees.
- Analyze performance indicators and outcomes, focusing on risk management. Develop and manage annual reports based on established key performance indicators.
- Participate in, lead and provide oversight of key system committees related to planning objectives for IHSP priorities.
- Collaborate with other departments, staff and external stakeholders (CIHI, ICES, Access to Care, Public Health) to gather information and generate system reports, identify and implement continuous improvement opportunities with respect to the planning function.
- Provide supervision to student placements or other staff as required.
Education and Qualifications:
- University degree (Masters level preferred) in related discipline.
- 5+ years related experience.
- Demonstrated leadership skills acquired through considerable experience leading and motivating staff.
- Demonstrated ability to initiate, lead, and implement progressive and proactive municipal planning policies and programs.
- Demonstrated experience in managing projects, leading planning and design in complex systems. Project management certification an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to identify emerging risks and issues related to health system planning.
- Ability to develop and nurture a work environment that is inclusive, respectful, positive and motivating for staff, having been a champion to facilitate change in a team-based working environment.
- Strong skills in comprehensive data review, consolidation and analysis including previous experience in technical research, analysis and planning initiatives, preferably in the health-care sector.
- Proven track record of building and maintaining productive, collaborative relationships with other departments, sectors, the health system community and the public.
- Flexibility and adaptability in a dynamic and fast paced work environment; ability to effectively prioritize and manage multiple projects.
- Expertise and proven ability to apply multiple planning and analysis methodologies and make effective recommendations.
- Proven ability to provide project coordination and management with multiple stakeholders, successfully manage budgets and achieve performance targets.
- Ability to synthesize information from multiple sources.
- Understanding of the Ontario health-care system, priorities and current issues.
- Proven ability to think strategically in complex working environments to make recommendations for system priorities, solve problems and meet deadlines under pressure.
- Excellent written communications skills to prepare clear reports and analyses of data which will support effective decision-making and priority-setting.
- Excellent oral communications skills to explain complex technical information to leadership, colleagues and stakeholders.
- Excellent ability to network and develop relationships with key stakeholders (including local residents) to obtain input for development of system plans,
- Excellent interpersonal skills, public facilitation and conflict resolution skills.
- High level of personal initiative, creativity, and a high degree of self-motivation. Forward-thinking and proactive.
- Solid knowledge of the LHIN community.
- Experience using business intelligence tools (i.e. CIHI Portal, Intellihealth, iPort Access) preferred.
WWLHIN strives to create a respectful, accessible and inclusive work environment. Upon individual request, hiring processes will be modified to remove barriers to accommodate those with disabilities. Should any applicant require accommodation through the application, interview or selection processes, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com for assistance.
If you are interested in this position, please submit a cover letter, along with a detailed resume, outlining how your skills, qualifications and experience meet the position requirements, quoting competition #18-A-13 before 4:30 p.m. on Monday, April 16, 2018 to Human Resources (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org). We thank all applicants in advance; however, we will be communicating only with those selected for an interview.
*** PLEASE NOTE*** Cover letters and resumes need to be submitted as a single file, acceptable files are: doc, docx, and pdf. Please include your first name, last name and job title in the file name when applying, example JohnSmith_ManagerPlanning.
THE WATERLOO WELLINGTON LHIN IS COMMITTED TO THE PRINCIPLES OF EMPLOYMENT EQUITY.