Date of Posting: January
Closing Date: January 11, 2018
Rapid Response Nurse
(Temporary Full-time for up to 12
Rate of Pay: $33.28
Visits anywhere in WWLHIN dependent
on referrals received.
8:30 – 4:30
Monday thru Sunday (Rotating), plus on-call and rotation of Stat
Holidays. Provides relief at LHIN locations
or teams as required.
The Rapid Response Nurse provides the first in-home nursing visit within 24 hours from hospital discharge for high needs seniors. During this visit, the nurse will confirm the patient hospital discharge care plan, assess client status, communicate the importance of primary care to avoid re-hospitalization, and perform medication reconciliation for the client.
- Reviewing the discharge care plan and confirm outstanding medical tests have been scheduled and transportation etc. is available
- Either directly or in partnership with a pharmacist, ensuring new prescriptions are filled and conduct a medication reconciliation to confirm no drug interactions or contraindications exist
- Reviewing medication protocol with client and/or caregiver; answering any questions
- Contacting the primary care physician and provide an update on the recent hospitalization and post-discharge regime
- Recommending and facilitating, as appropriate, a one-week client follow-up visit with the primary care physician
- Identifying clients requiring an accelerated LHIN in home assessment and home care services; working with the Care Coordinator to facilitate the home assessment visit
- Informing and supporting the Care Coordinator in developing the client's care plan and ensuring a smooth transfer of the primary care physician and pharmacist to the ongoing care team
- Answering any questions or concerns of the client and/or caregiver; providing LHIN phone number for support
- Acting as a spokesperson as required; interpreting the role of the LHIN to clients, health care professionals and to the public
- Ensuring positive public relations and effective co-ordination of services through ongoing liaison and participation on internal and external committees
- Participating in establishing, maintaining, and monitoring standards of care for the client, including committee work and active participation and contribution to quality initiatives
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of five (5) years of relevant, recent direct care nursing experience as a Registered Nurse (BScN or diploma)
- Provides best practice care in management of skills including but not limited to: wounds, drains, catheters, chest tubes, injections, IV medication administration and line maintenance.
- Case Management Certificate is an asset
- Working knowledge of community resources and roles of health care professionals
- Solid knowledge of health care related legislation and practices
- Knowledge of direct care / case management models used in community health care organizations
- Knowledge of LHIN priorities, policies, practices and service standards
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills
- Effective organizational and planning skills
- Basic proficiency with computerized information systems
- French language is an asset
- The ability to work independently in a highly organized manner is required.
- Proficiency in the use of a personal computer in a windows networked environment, using Word and database software
- Effectively maintain verbal and written communication with others throughout the workplace as well as outside the organization
- Ability to communicate with clients', families, and other stakeholders in order to follow through with care plan directives
- Demonstrated awareness of cultural diversity; ability to behave discreetly and sensitively to confidential issues
- The ability to travel throughout Waterloo Region and Wellington County is required.
This position may be required to provide relief at other LHIN locations or teams as needed and may be part of the on call rotation as per the provisions of the ONA collective agreement.
WWLHIN strives to create a respectful, accessible and inclusive work environment. Upon individual request, hiring processes will be modified to remove barriers to accommodate those with disabilities. Should any applicant require accommodation through the application, interview or selection processes, please contact Human Resources email@example.com at for assistance.
If you are interested in this position, please submit a cover letter, along with a detailed resume, outlining how your skills, qualifications and experience meet the position requirements, quoting posting #18/0/03 before 4:30 p.m. on January 11, 2018 to Human Resources (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org). We thank all applicants in advance; however, we will be communicating only with those selected for an interview.
THE WATERLOO WELLINGTON LHIN IS COMMITTED TO THE PRINCIPLES OF EMPLOYMENT EQUITY.