Compliments & Concerns
We strive to provide outstanding care to all Home and Community Care Support Services patients, each and every day. We welcome feedback of all kinds – compliments, concerns, complaints and all other inquiries. Receiving feedback and input from our patients, their families and caregivers is important to help us continually improve our programs and services.
Here are a few ways to share your feedback, compliments or concerns:
- Discuss your service-related concerns with your care coordinator
- Share compliments and feedback with your local Patient Relations/Quality team.
- Call Ontario’s Long-Term Care ACTION Line to share concerns about long-term care homes or Home and Community Care Support Services
- Contact Ontario’s Patient Ombudsman
1. Concerns or complaints regarding services
As a Home and Community Care Support Services patient, you have the right to bring forth complaints and concerns regarding your service(s). The following details the nature of patient-related complaints Home and Community Care Support Services will work to address:
- A decision that the patient is not eligible to receive a particular home and community care service.
- A decision to exclude a particular home and community care service from the patient’s care plan.
- A decision respecting the amount of any particular home and community care service set out in the patient’s care plan.
- A decision to terminate the provision of a home and community care service to the patient.
Please follow these steps to have your concerns reviewed and assessed for resolution options:
- Contact your care coordinator to discuss any concerns or complaints. Your care coordinator is most familiar with your situation and wants to hear what is going well for you and what can be improved. Your care coordinator will work with you, your family or caregiver to address any concerns. Most patient complaints are successfully resolved at this level.
- If, after speaking with your care coordinator, your complaint is not resolved to your satisfaction, you can ask your care coordinator to speak to their manager.
- If, after speaking with a manager, your complaint remains unresolved, you may request a formal review. The manager will inform you how to proceed with a formal review.
- Following the formal review process, if you remain unsatisfied with the decision, you have the right to appeal that decision to the Health Services Appeal and Review Board, if it concerns your eligibility for service, the type or amount of service you receive or why services were discontinued.
Health Services Appeal and Review Board
151 Bloor Street West, 9th Floor
Toronto, ON M5S 1S4
Note: Unresolved concerns or complaints not related to services as outlined above will be further reviewed with Home and Community Care Support Services for resolution.
2. Compliments or feedback
Please feel free to share your feedback with your care coordinator. You may also share compliments or complaints with your local privacy, patient relations, quality or records office. To determine the most appropriate contact for a Home and Community Care Support Services organization, please use the location lookup tool to be directed to that region’s page.
3. Long-Term Care ACTION Line
In addition to our internal process, you also have the option of contacting the Long-Term Care ACTION Line, a service provided by the Ontario Ministry of Long-Term Care.
The Long-Term Care ACTION Line is available to receive concerns and complaints about either Long-Term Care Homes or Home and Community Care Support Services. They also offer the option to speak to an Independent Complaints Facilitator.
Click here to learn more about the Long-Term Care ACTION Line. You may also contact the Long-Term Care ACTION Line by telephone at 1-866-876-7658.
4. Ontario’s Patient Ombudsman
Ontario’s Patient Ombudsman can help if you have already sought to have your complaint addressed by Home and Community Care Support Services and you are not satisfied with the outcome. More information is available at www.PatientOmbudsman.ca or by calling 1-888-321-0339.
We empower you to be your best selves, do your best work and deliver the best possible patient experience.